Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Touch Screen Phenomena

I am one to admit that I am a crackberry (a Blackberry smartphone addict). I've always been afraid to get one because they just look too confusing with the millions of buttons it has and all the menu icons and junk it does. But then one day last year, my cheap Samsung phone broke and my friend who worked at T-Mobile said he would give me a deal on a Blackberry. I was hesitant at first and even hated the phone for the first few days. But now I am in love for I have met my cellular match.

I've had my Blackberry for over a year now and times have change. My sweet little phone is much outdated and is in severe need of an upgrade. The first place I looked was Blackberry.com and found that they are now offering a touch screen phone called the Storm.

ugh.

Should that I say that again?

UGH!

I hate touch screen phones! I would consider myself a pretty tech savvy person but I just don't get what the hype is about with these phones. When the iPhone first came out a few years ago, I thought it was a cool idea. Then the iPod Touch was introduced (which looks and works just like the iPhone minus the actual phone part) and I bought one right away... only to find out how much I hate typing on those things. I push the little "A" button but "S" pops up. If I were to dial 911, 022 might accidentally show up. I try to type my name but it looks something like "Sbbor" because my fat little fingers can't hit the right key (which amuses me because I have relatively small hands, I often wonder how people with larger hands operate these things).

These phones offer internet. That's kind of cool. Oh wait, despite the connection (WiFi or 3g) web pages still load painfully slow because people forget that they are using a phone, not a computer. I have so many other things to complain about but okay... Blackberry is offering a new phone. Maybe I should stay loyal to the brand and just check it out.

Then I came across this review and all my complaints of touch screen phones are justified. The Storm lags because of the internet connection and typing just doesn't get any easier. UGH. I checked out the T-Mobile website for other options on phones but their featured phones are the G1 Google TOUCH SCREEN phone and the Samsung Behold which is also a touch screen.

People need to realize a cell phone is called a phone for a reason. Even though I'm all for text messaging and email on a phone, we often forget that all this technology is making communication between friends and family less personable.

No comments: