Sunday, November 23, 2008

Fantasy Sports: TV & Internet Combined


(found in Google image search)

My boyfriend is in a Fantasy Football league and this season, they needed an extra person to play the game. Being the awesome girlfriend that I am, I agreed to take part in the league, not knowing what I was getting myself into.

In a nutshell, this is how the game is played. One day, all ten of us in the league got together and held a draft. We all took turns picking players from the NFL that we wanted on our teams. Once the real football season started, we would choose which players on our team would play and which would be benched. How our players do in Fantasy Football depends on how well they do in real life. For example, in week 1, one of my wide receivers got injured and is out for the rest of the season which means I can't use him at all anymore in Fantasy Football. Another example is one of my running backs broke his toe but still continued to play for a weeks. He did a pretty lousy job in real life and probably would earn me only a couple points in Fantasy Football. So if a player scores in real life and they are on your fantasy team, then you score. If your player drops the ball or throws an interception, then you lose points. Simple as that.

Fantasy sports is a merging of the internet and sports TV. Scores get updated on Fantasy Football in real time, so as you are watching a game on TV, the points on your fantasy team are fluctuating. I don't know how Fantasy Football started but I think it is a great advertising technique for the NFL. You have to watch and pay attention to the all the teams in the NFL to be able to keep track of your own players in the Fantasy league. So not only does sports TV get more viewers, these fantasy sport sites get more hits.

I have always loved football but haven't really paid much to attention to the NFL in years. Being the competitive person that I am, I religiously check my fantasy football team each day to make sure no one got injured or is sick or can't play. I also find myself watching specific games when I know my players are on the field. Being in this fantasy league has definitely increased my participation in watching football.

And in case you are curious, my team is doing horrible. My excuse is that this is my first time playing and I'm just going to have to watch more football next year.

No comments: