Sunday, November 2, 2008

Republicans on SNL

Disclaimer: My political views play no part in the writing of this blog :)

I just came across this Yahoo! article on McCain stating he just appeared on Saturday Night Live, poking "fun at his cash-strapped campaign and [he] got in a few digs at rival Barack Obama." Sarah Palin had also previously been on the show on October 18th, "drawing [SNL's] largest audience since 1994."


(found in Google image search)

Because Obama has been targetting college campuses for support in his campaign, he has been considered among students as the "cooler" candidate. I feel like John McCain and Sarah Palin are trying to gain more popularity with the younger voters and Saturday Night Live was their attempt. I call it an attempt because I don't think they are getting the kind of publicity they are hoping for. Don't get me wrong, Sarah Palin was a hit (expecially since both the real Palin and Tina Fey's impersonation of Palin were in the skit at the same time). But showcasing Palin's down to earth personality and hockey mom image is not enough to increase her capability (at least in the public eye) of being the next Vice President of the United States.

John McCain's appearance on SNL could actually be damaging to their popularity. Although the skit was all in fun, McCain jokes about not having enough money to have a 30 minute infomercial like Obama, but is able to make a stint in the QVC shopping channel. As a young voter myself, hearing something like that turns me off from their campaign. Thinking the Republicans don't have enough money to advertise/promote (however you want to look at it) like the Democrats do decreases their credibility in my mind (but then again, that could just be me). In our society, it is not uncommon to equate money with success. Using that philosophy, since the Democrats have more money (as McCain joked), wouldn't that mean the Democrats are more likely to be successful?

If I were McCain or Palin, I'd change the way I'm getting my face out to the public... yeah... I can't help but shake my head.

No comments: